Saturday 7 September 2013

Chris Returns to NY

I am one lucky girl.

I have a man who did not think twice about booking flights to visit me in NY, every other weekend, during my time there. He would fly down on Friday after working for 10 hours, via the following methods of transportation: 1) Driving to the Go Station, 2) Taking the Go Train to Union Station, 3) Taking the shuttle bus to Porter's ferry, 4) Taking a ferry across to Toronto Island, 5) Flying to Newark airport, 6) Taking a light-rail train from Newark to Penn Station, 7) Taking a cab from Penn Station to Murray Hill. He'd get in to NY late on Friday, spend a glorious Saturday with me, then do that whole rigamarole again on Sunday. Amazing, right? I think so. Which was why I felt even more bad than I normally would when I got called into work one Saturday night while he was visiting me, and had to continue working until Sunday evening.



Poor Chris :( He took it all in stride though, offering to bring me dinner, and exploring Wall Street, the Statue of Liberty, and other parts of Manhattan solo.

We did manage to have one incredible date together though - we spent Saturday wandering the streets of NY, checking out Gramercy, Soho, Little Italy, Chinatown, and Nolita. We dined at a cute Italian restaurant decorated in white and blue, and found a boho street market where there was real sod in the middle of the street to make a fake little park (there were even blankets and hula hoops to use!).




It was one of those great days where you wander, not having a destination in mind, and end up stumbling upon street markets where you buy woven baskets from Senegal and blackberry lemonade..ya know those days? Those are good days.


Chris tried out a meat-ball stand, where all they sell are single meat-balls...and finally got to visit Gray's Papaya to try out a famous $1 hot dog (which he said were incredibly delicious). Thankfully they lived up to the hype!

In NY, visiting a psychic is very common. I was shocked to see psychic reading places all over. Thinking it would be a fun thing to do, we stopped at one near Chinatown that advertised $10 readings. Inside a small room draped in hot pink velvet, and adorned with large crystals on every free surface, we let two hairy women tell our fortunes as they swatted away their restless children who kept coming up to us. Sketch. Biggest rip-off of life. The whole thing lasted maybe 45 seconds, and we had to pay $25..each. Yuck! We were so mad at ourselves for falling prey to their little scam. Never again, psychics, never again.


Unfortunately, that's where our weekend was cut short - but Chris took it like a champ, and showed me how much of a devoted, understanding, and truly amazing man he is.*

*so sorry this post is mushy :)

1 comment:

  1. Aww, what a sweet post! I love all your pictures of NY, I miss it so and don't know when I'll be able to go again!

    ReplyDelete